Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I came into my Junior year art classes as a strong sketch artist, but left a completely different artist. I took the mixed media and the adv. 2-D art class this year, two classes that really helped me to figure out what type of an artist I really am.
In mixed media I was wary at first, knowing nothing at all about mixed media, but as the class progressed I found myself craving more mixed media based projects. Out of this class I have came up with, what I believe, is a great technique. I take a square piece of paper, crinkle it so it becomes softer, and then twist into a circle, with the help of yes! paste, giving it the look of a rose. I discovered this in mixed media, but really made it my own in adv. 2-D.
Adv. 2-D really seemed more like a senior studio class to me. There were set projects, but no deadlines and the freedom to work on whatever piece of art you wanted to. Although the projects had a strong 2-D element, I still incorporated my mixed media technique in most of my pieces. However, I did change my technique a bit, I did all the previous steps, but this time once my rose had dried I would cover it in a varnish that made is shine incredibly.
I have noticed that as I change as an artist, so does my technique, and I like the direction it's going. But a challenge that I have found happens a lot with me in my art classes, is finishing. As the project is explained, I get a vivid picture in my head of how it should look, but the execution is the problem. I wouldn't say that it is boring or that it can't keep my attention, but simply that I take too long finishing my piece and keeping in step with the rest of the class. That is a problem that has been apparent, but I feel that I can fix, just a lowering of standards I guess.
In total, I have greatly appreciated my junior year arts. They have opened my eyes to seeing that I am not only a sketch artist, but an artist that can use colors and different materials' textures to my advantage. I cannot wait until senior studio when it really is a class of total free expression, it may be hard to work on projects that have no guide lines, but I think the challenge will be more than fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment